Vegan MoFo Survey!
(copy/pasted from veganmegan.blogspot.com)
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
For tea or coffee: (Alpro) soymilk. For baking: coconut milk.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
For MoFo: some alternative take on cinnamon rolls, seitan Zwiebelrostbraten (more or less a roast with onion gravy), mochi.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Sriracha hot sauce. Seriously. (I have it on the side and dip my popcorn in.)
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
I once made a banana cake that turned out like a very dense… rubber banana or something. I never used that recipe again.
5. Favorite pickled item?
I don’t really like pickles. But if I have to choose the least offensive one, it’s baby corn.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
Half-filled notebooks, the occasional recipe file in every hidden corner of my hard drive, and heaps and heaps of loose sheets and printouts. So actually that should be: I guess I don’t.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Everything goes where it belongs. Glass, metal, paper and plastics are going in their respective recycling bins, compostable stuff goes in the compost bin. There’s not much else left.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
I do hope my island will have some fruits and veggies growing on it, hopefully including some coconuts. So I’ll bring seitan, edamame, and tea. I don’t think you’ll have to come and save me very soon. (Especially if I can also bring my “desert island books”.)
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Helping my grandma bake her famous chocolate-filled sponge cake.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Mango from Amorino.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
Probably my hand-held blender.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Salt, actually. I guess I use a lot of salt. But my all-time favourite spice is sichuan pepper. (The taste! The frangrance!)
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Maybe my pregan GU party cookbook. I used to make that cheese and cherry tomato quiche a lot.
My first vegan cookbook was Vegan Planet, shortly followed by Veganomicon and Vegan with a Vengeance.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
I don’t know if it’s technically a jam, but chestnut. Followed by my grandmother’s homemade plum jam.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
“Nachmittagsessen” (in the middle of the afternoon).
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
A stack of vegan cookbooks, my kitchen scales, and a lot of jars and other containers. (My small fridge sits on the floor and serves as a kind of kitchen cupboard / work and storage surface.)
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Pumpkin puree, edamame, broccoli.
20. What’s on your grocery list?
Flour, soymilk, — actually, I haven’t gotten very far.
21. Favorite grocery store?
My local Indian grocery.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
That sponge cake my grandma used to make. Unfortunately she’s having trouble remembering the recipe.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Seitan is my motor, I guess. Mihl is the Queen of Bread (among other things).
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
If “accidentally vegan” counts (and I declare it does): (original red) Twizzlers. I’m positively addicted to them (but can’t get them here).
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Uh, I don’t know. Usually, crispy nori snacks is as fancy as it gets.
26. Favorite pumpkin thing to eat?
Pumpkin soup, drizzled with pumpkinseed oil, preferably with some croutons as well.
And then, of course, all the cookie / cake variants.